Whenever I went to the cinema to watch a movie, nachos with cheese sauce was always a must-have companion during a suspense-packed movie. However, when you know how many additives, preservatives and sugars go in the ready-packed sauces that are served at the cinemas, you do not want to buy it again, no matter how well your taste buds are tricked. Luckily, I found just the perfect recipea (never pass up an opportunity to make a pun!) to create your own nacho cheese sauce without any nasty ingredients which tastes even better than ‘the real thang’. Oh and it’s entirely vegan! All you need is a blender and the following ingredients.
For approximately 500ml sauce, you’ll need:
- 2 medium potatoes (the kind for baking)
- 1 medium carrot
- 3T nutritional yeast
- 1 handful cashews
- 1t onion powder
- 1t garlic powder
- A hint of smoked paprika
- 1/4t dried chili flakes (or the tip of a fresh chili)
- A hint of cardamom
- 3/4T Himalaya salt
- 1 cup (approximately 230ml) of non-sweetened plant milk (I used soy milk)
- Fresh juice of 1/3 of a lemon
- A hint of curcuma if you want the sauce to be more yellowish
Easy peasy creation:
- Cut carrot and potatoes in roughly even pieces
- Boil water and steam for 16 minutes at medium high heat. When done, stick a knife or fork into the bigger pieces to see if it pierces through without resistance.
- Cool down under cold water, then toss all into a blender (potatoes and carrot should cool down enough to be touched barehanded easily).
- Toss the remaining ingredients into the blender and blend up everything for ca. 35 seconds in a high speed blender, or until smooth.
- Serve immediately or keep in a closed jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks, if you can resist eating it all 😉
- Take the jar to a movie and enjoy!
The recipe video is also up on my YouTube channel. Watch it here:
Simple, isn’t it? I have tried many variations of this recipe but found my own touch to resemble the taste I remembered and loved from my omnivore days, and also this recipe is for me the closest to a melty cheddar cheese sauce (yes, the one that’s usually made with nasty animal milk). And by the way, this recipe doesn’t end here. You can use it for a lot other things. But that’ll be another blog entry.
Let me know if you tried my recipe and liked it in the comments below, or use the hashtag #peasfultaste on instagram or facebook. Follow me if you haven’t already. Thank you for reading 🙂